Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Update on Life, Christmas etc.

Okay, it's been a really long time since I've blogged. It's not that my life isn't totally exciting (haha), I am just lazy...what can I say.

Well. In October I went back to America for a few months. I stayed with my parents in Missouri. Worked a bit there. Then I went to my dear friends wedding in Utah. It was so fun. I got together with my college roommates, Lisse, Becca and Ashley for the event. We spent a couple days together. It was a great reunion. Then went and saw my big sister in Arizona. Then back to Switzerland. Just in time to be with my Nate for the holidays.

I am still here in Zurich with Nate. We had a great holiday, and then he hit the books hard to get ready for his exams. He just passed his first one today. Nathan, if you don't already know, is working on his masters in Architecture at the ETH here in Zurich. He's a smart kid, I'll tell you what.

I am enjoying being back here in Switzerland. The scenery is beautiful, the chocolate is good, and most of all I like being with Nate.

While Nathan studies, I read, write articles, crochet, research good recipes on the internet. I just made some really yummy whole wheat bread. The recipe is HUGE, it made about 5 loaves. We have been enjoying eating that, especially for toast. The Swiss have good bread, especially pastry, but they don't have really good bread for toasting and sandwiches. It's strange, they sell "American Toast" - the only sliced somewhat dense bread. I'll take a picture to show you all sometime.

Here are some photos


Ashley and Spencer (snuck these from her FB page - thanks ash)



The next day the girls and I went to lunch at the Lion House, then saw the Temple Square lights, followed by a viewing of the Joseph Smith movie at the Legacy Theatre. And to top it off, we went to the Pie for the BEST pizza in Utah (our college favorite, always worth the trip to SLC).

Back home for Christmas. My leprechaun/Amish husband and I decorated a tree. A family in the ward was kind enough to lend us this little one.

We spent Christmas Eve with the Ringger family in Basel. They use REAL lights on the tree. It was amazing. Marcus is holding a giant torch thing that lights the candles. Christmas Eve is the big event in Switzerland. It is the night they have their big dinner, singing, and open gifts. We had so much fun at their house. They prepared an exquisite 5 course dinner, we sang traditional Christmas hymns (in German of course) and then we went to a Christmas Mass to hear choir music. Nathan and I headed back to Zurich that night to spend Christmas day at our own home.

Us on Christmas morning. Looking really good.
Nathan in Basel. I love the street decorations here during the holidays. This old street had trees lining both sides of the street. So lovely.
Nathan painting my nails. He got me polish for Christmas. Have I mentioned he is the best husband?
We had a serious Skip-Bo tournament. Lasted days. We still need to finish. Thanks to Nathan's mom and family for sending this card game along with many other gifts in the mail.

4 comments:

The Skaggs said...

That is so cute that he paints your toes! Husbands are the best! Are there many accidental fires from Christmas trees in Switzerland?

Meg said...

Becca - husbands are the best! I don't think there are too many fires. It's traditional for people to put up Christmas trees right before Christmas, usually the week of Christmas or Christmas Eve, so they are pretty fresh and not too dry. They just light the candles on Christmas Eve and keep a close eye on them. At the Ringger's, they actually put one candle out because it looked too close to a branch above it. So, yeah, I think there are some, but it is not too common. Nathan said he hasn't heard of it happening to anyone he knows.

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

Yay! It was so good to get an update. Looks like you guys are soo happy.

love ya

Elsie N Lopez said...

Thanks for the update Meg, I feel somewhat close to you still even though I haven't seen you in YEARS. Thank goodness for the internet! Keep posting and thanks for your comments on my blog ;)