Thursday, August 13, 2009

We LOVE Bern!

The Swiss Temple is located in Bern. It is the capital of Switzerland and a really beautiful city. It takes us about an hour by train to get to the temple and it costs about $90 round trip (can we say expensive!) for the two of us, so we made a day out if last month (as we'll probably do again this month).
Here we are inside the Mormon Home Shop - It's got church books, PLUS an assortment of American treats hard to find here in Switzerland, like root beer, Reeses, Oreos etc. I didn't endulge as I'm still pretty satisfied trying all the local Swiss sweet goodness.
The shop is located right across the street from the temple.
As is obvious, you can see Bern is really stunning. All of downtown looks pretty much like this. Row buildings made with grayish tan brick. The bottoms of the buildings have these archways and they are lined with shops...all nicely shaded.


This is the Berner Münster, Cathedral of St. Vincent. We took a walk around inside, and there was some serious organ playing going on.
Aare river and my husband...lookingcute as usual.
I just have to point out these cellar doors. They are all over the city. Some of them are open to the public and used as shops or some of them lead down to restaurants. Pretty neat feature I think.
Last but certainly not least, I will introduce you to Berner Haselnuss Lebkuchen.
An incredible cake local to Bern. These little cake cookie type things are made with a base of hazelnut paste (not unlike marzipan) and are sweetened with honey. They have a really dense chewy consistensy, not too sweet, and absolutely divine. And they always are made in bear molds...because of course...it's Bern.

6 comments:

A-Train said...

Can I just say that I am soooooooo jealous!!! What a beautiful place--perfect for beautiful people such as yourselves! :) I love ya and am so happy that you guys are having fun adventures. I've got to catch up with you about jobs and living arrangements in the fall....hopefully everything worked out!

Jacqui said...

Yay for updates! You guys are so cute! It looks like you guys are having so much fun. I wish I could be enjoying all of that right along with you... oh well, someday! How are you settling in?

Jazzy said...

Ohmygoodness, how charming! All of it. Okay--so I missed the reason alltogether with why you are in Switzerland, so please comment on my blog and tell me.

Carole Ann & Jon said...

The Temple is so pretty! What a fun place to live so close to!! (wait, do you not have a car??) When can I come visit?

Meg said...

Hey Carole Ann! No, we don't have a car. We rely completely on public transportation and our own feet to get around. I need to send you an email update soon. Come visit me NOW!

Elsie N Lopez said...

Meg,

Bern sound like a charming place! How's your photography going? I bet there are some great places for pictures there...